WELCOMING ALL NEIGHBORS
September 13 – 22
Welcoming Week is a chance for neighbors—both immigrants and U.S.-born residents—to get to know one another and celebrate what unites us as a community.
At the Y, we believe that our communities are stronger and more vibrant when everyone feels welcome and can fully contribute their unique talents for the greater good. For more than 170 years, the Y has helped immigrants access the integration support needed to thrive, which contributes to the economic, civic and cultural strength of a community.
Welcoming communities help newcomers better integrate into society and become actively involved in strengthening their community.
*Download our infographic demonstrating some of the ways newcomers strengthen our communities.
Three Ways You Can Be a Welcomer
1. Learn to welcome neighbors in their native language. Below are a few examples.*
|Arabic||ahlan’wa sahlab||Ahh-lehn wa Sa-lehn|
|Chinese (Traditional)||huānyíng||Hoo-ahn Ying|
|Hindi||svagat hain||Sva-gaht ha-AIN|
|Portuguese||bem vindo||Beem Veen-doh|
2. Let people know why you welcome. During the month of September, take a moment to let all neighbors know that they are welcome and appreciated in your community by filling out one of the sign templates below. Take a photo with your sign and share it on social media using the hashtags #AMAYMCA, #WelcomingWeek, and #YforAll.
3. Attend a Welcoming Week event.
Join us for a week of activities and events celebrating our community’s cultural diversity:
• Welcoming Week Kick-off Breakfast – at Cooper YMCA on September 13th from 7:30-8:30 am
Join us for a complimentary Continental Breakfast to kick-off Welcoming Week. Stop by to become a “Y Welcomer.”
• Welcoming Week Celebration – International Family Zumba Class – at Central YMCA on September 14th at 10 am
• Welcoming Week Celebrating Culture & Taste of the World Open House – at Cooper YMCA on September 16th
from 10-12 pm or 5-7 pm.
Visit our Cooper Y for food, music, and fun! Learn about the programs and services the Y offers. Take a tour and get to know the Y!
• Welcoming Week Open House – at North YMCA on September 18th
Visit our North Y to learn about the programs and services we offer. Take a tour and get to know the Y!
• Welcoming Week Family Fun Night and Movie Under the Stars – at Central YMCA on September 20th at 6:30 pm (movie starts at sunset)
More ways you can welcome all month long!
Download an activity card Opens a new window which features nine fun and easy ways to expand your perspective and make your community a more welcoming place for all during Welcoming Week.
How many can you accomplish?
For more information please contact:
Heidi Hardy, VP of Community Engagement
817-299-9629 ext. 1600
About Welcoming Week
Welcoming Week, founded by Welcoming America, is an annual celebration bringing together thousands of people and hundreds of local events that celebrate the contributions of immigrants and refugees and the role communities play to foster greater welcome. Welcoming Week is Sept. 13-22 across the country and now expanding to other parts of the world.
Welcoming America is leading a movement of inclusive communities becoming more prosperous by making everyone who lives there feel like they belong. Welcoming America believes that all people, including immigrants, are valued contributors and vital to the success of both our communities and our shared future. www.welcomingamerica.org.