Awards & Recognition
Each year, the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA holds an Annual Celebration to celebrate the accomplishments of the Y and honor volunteers. During this event, the Y will present awards to our dedicated volunteers that have helped shape the Y.
The Bill and Shari Bowie Community Leadership Award exists to honor Bill and Shari Bowie’s legacy in the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA and the community. The Bowie Family has made a considerable impact in our community by donating their time, talent and treasure to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the Salvation Army, American Cancer Society, and SafeHaven to name a few. Bill and Shari raised their three children in the Y. Bill served as a basketball coach for over 14 years, as a board member for over 10 years where he served as our board chair in 2004-2005 and today, Shari Bowie serves as an active member of the AMA Y Board of Directors.
The Bill and Shari Bowie Community Leadership Award was created to encourage volunteerism and to recognize, honor and to show our appreciation for our community leaders who have made a considerable impact through their donated time, talent and financial resources.
The criteria for this award are as follows:
- Volunteerism – Volunteerism is central to the founding and legacy of the YMCA. The award recipient’s volunteer activity helps to design and implement solutions and strategies to build sustainable programs and services in our community.
- Social Responsibility – The recipient’s efforts have a positive impact on many lives. Their generous donations have improved or changed important social issues in our community. They are leaders in our community who help to encourage and lead a culture of philanthropy and volunteerism.
- YMCA Advocacy – The recipient of this award is a cause driven leader who is a YMCA Advocate and has shown their willingness to help advance the Y’s mission by being intentional in capturing and communicating the positive impact the Y makes across our areas of focus: Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
- 2020 Recipient – Jerry McCullough
- 2018 Recipient – Tillie Burgin, Mission Arlington/Mission Metroplex
- 2017 Recipient – Mayor Jeff Williams, City of Arlington, Texas
The Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA is Recognized for Community Impact
North Texas business man and Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA supporter Harry Crosby received the 2017 Communitas Award for his commitment to the association and the community. Mr. Crosby’s recent gift of over $17,000 to the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA will definitely boost the organization in its endeavor to impact thousands of lives throughout the community through the Diabetes Prevention, the LIVESTRONG Cancer Survivor Support and Senior Fitness programs.
In January 2020 it was our distinct honor to receive the Legacy Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award at the 2020 Lunar New Year Celebration & Award Banquet presented by the U.S. Pan Asian Chamber of Commerce. Past recipients include: Sean Donohue, CEO DFW Airport; Joel Allison, CEO of Baylor Scott White Health; Doug Hawthorne, CEO of Texas Health Resources, Carmen Garcia, VP, DART ; Rohi Rai, VP, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company; and many more.
In January of 2020, the AMA YMCA was awarded the Community Service of the Year award presented by the Mansfield Area Chamber of Commerce. We are honored to accept this prestigious award and partner with the City of Mansfield, Mansfield ISD and the Mansfield Area Chamber of Commerce.
In March 2022, the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA received the Pan-Asian Southwest’s Chamber of Commerce “Unity Award” for our work within the Diversity & Inclusion space including our YMCA World Service partnership in Vietnam, the Y Advancing Equity Podcast, Welcoming Week, and the great work of our DIG Committee.
The Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA has embarked upon a goal to put focus and intention upon Diversity, Inclusion and Global Equity. You can read about our progress and our promise to the community to continue to lead this effort in the communities we serve in the January 2020 issue of Arlington Today Magazine.