HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY – COVID-19
The Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA is dedicated to the health and safety of our entire community. As COVID-19 is an ongoing global pandemic, the safety and health strategies we are employing are beneficial to individuals both while at the YMCA and while in the community at large.
Face coverings (covering nose and mouth) are required for all individuals 2 years and older, per CDC recommendations, while at the YMCA. Face coverings do not have to be worn in the following circumstances:
- When exercising or engaging in physical activity, as long as social distancing can be maintained.
- When wearing a face covering poses a greater mental or physical health, safety, or security risk.
- When consuming food or drink.
- When participating in a YMCA program where 6 feet of distance can be maintained. (please be prepared; always send a face covering with your child who is in a Y program)
What does this look like in the Y? There are several scenarios where an individual’s activities and/or medical history may make wearing a face covering a safety concern. If a member or staff must remove their face covering due to difficulty breathing, we require that they ensure 6 feet of distance from people not in their household while their face covering is down. This means you may see members working out with a face covering down (equipment is spaced 6 feet apart). You may also see staff such as lifeguards and group ex instructors with their face coverings down due to an operational need (6 feet of distance maintained). In general, however, members and staff must wear a face covering whenever it is safe to do so. If you or a child is unable to wear a face covering because it poses a significant mental or physical health risk to the individual, please ensure social distancing of 6 feet is followed.
HEALTH SCREENING AND TEMPERATURE CHECKS
- Individuals are expected to stay home if they have any new or worsening signs or symptoms of COVID-19 or have had known close contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Upon arrival to the YMCA, staff and members are screened for respiratory symptoms and have their body temperature taken with a touchless thermometer as a precautionary measure to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- YMCA staff and members are expected to maintain and encourage 6 feet of space from people not in the same household.
- Many of our procedures have been made available online or self-service.
- Staff monitor facility and room maximum occupancy, meeting government orders and 6 feet distancing.
- Reservations for lap lanes, personal training, gymnasium, group exercise classes and Parent’s Night Out is required.
CLEANING AND DISINFECTION
- We have enhanced our cleaning and sanitation procedures with sanitation duties throughout the day, focusing on high touch points such as handrails, doorknobs, light switches, counters, etc. As well, we use EPA registered, virus-killing disinfectants and our facilities are deep-cleaned and sanitized nightly.
- We ask all members to disinfect equipment before and after use. We have added sanitation bins, reminder signage and extra disinfecting wipes for your convenience.
HAND AND RESPIRATORY HYGIENE
- All staff and members will practice respiratory hygiene by covering coughs and sneezes.
- Plexi-glass sneeze guards are provided at member service areas.
- Staff will wash their hands or use hand sanitizers frequently. Signage is posted throughout the facility to remind members to do the same.