YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program (YDPP) is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program and is currently available at 202 Ys throughout the country, including the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA. This evidence-based program has shown that by increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight, a person with prediabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by more than half.
- Reduce body weight by 7 percent.
- Participate in 150 minutes of physical activity per week.
View the video testimonial from a YDPP participant: “It Will Truly Change Your Life.”
What is prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a condition in which individuals have blood glucose levels that are higher than normal, but not high enough to be classified as diabetes. People with prediabetes are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Who qualifies for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program?
To qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be 18 or older, overweight/obese (Body Mass Index > 25) and at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes, or have been diagnosed with prediabetes.
What is the cost?
ONLY $35 per month automatically withdrawn from your bank account for 12 months. Those participants that attend the first four sessions will automatically receive a 1 year FREE YMCA membership – A VALUE OF $360! Financial assistance is available.
Do you meet the program requirements?
- I am at least 18 years old
- I am overweight (BMI > 25)
- I am at risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes by a healthcare provider
Are you at risk for developing diabetes?
- My blood pressure is 140/90 or higher, or I have been told I have high blood pressure
- I have been told that my cholesterol levels are elevated
- I am fairly inactive. I am NOT physically active more than two times a week
- I have or had a parent or sibling with diabetes
- I have had gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy) or have given birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- I am 45 years of age or older
Take the RISK TEST:
For more information on Personal Training, please contact:
Sandy Watkins, Diabetes Prevention Coordinator, Cooper Street YMCA
Email Sandy or Call 817.419.9629 ext. 4202
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the United Way LIVE WELL Initiative.