ACHIEVE A HEALTHY WEIGHT TOGETHER
The YMCA’s Healthy Weight and Your Child (HWYC) is an evidence-based program for children with obesity. Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. The curriculum is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world.
- Child must be 7-13 years old
- Child must carry excess weight, with a body mass index in the 95th percentile or higher
- Child must receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate in the program
- Parent/Caregiver MUST attend all sessions
- Open to YMCA members and non-members.
How It Works
Along with 8 to 15 families, two trained leaders will create a safe, fun and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to living a healthier lifestyle. This 4-month program includes a mandatory Family Enrollment Session and 25 two hour sessions.
- Sessions 1-20 meet twice a week (10 weeks)
- Sessions 21-25 meet once a week (5 weeks)
- Reduction in child’s body mass index and waist circumference
- Reduction in sedentary behaviors
- Increased physical activity
- Healthier eating habits
- Improved self-esteem
Yes, there is a fee. To learn more about fees, payment, and financial assistance, please contact Colleen Overton.
- Cooper Street YMCA
For more information on Personal Training, please contact:
Colleen Overton, Director of Healthy Lifestyles, Cooper Street YMCA/Mansfield YMCA
Email Colleen or Call 817.419.9629 ext. 4500