We are excited to present a week of celebrating the diversity in our community with a variety of activities. To ensure the safety and participation of all, the AMA Y will host virtual and/or physically-distanced Welcoming Week activities in 2020. Safety is the utmost priority as we seek opportunities to bring our communities together in a spirit of connectivity and dialogue.
WELCOMING WEEK ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
- Cooper Street Y Sponsored Virtual Event: “Creating Home Together” Cooper Y and Texas Trust Credit Union present a First Time Home Buyer Live Webinar – Date: Thursday, September 17, 2020 Time: 12-12:30 p.m. via Zoom – To register please contact Cheyenne Bailey at email@example.com
- Cooper Street Y Celebration: Celebrating
Flags Around the World. Trivia Contests starting on September 1, 2020. Daily Trivia Contest winners.
- Cooper Street Y Show Your Support: “I Am A Welcomer”. Stop by the Cooper Street Y to show your Welcoming Week support. Become a “Welcomer”. Share on social media.
- Cooper Street Y Voter Registration: Starting September 12th thru September 19th there will be an opportunity to register to vote.
- Cooper Street Y Zumba Class: Zumba Around the World class with Charlotte. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC-September 15, 2020 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. & September 17, 2020 9:20 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Join us for a Facebook Live event.
- Cooper Street Y Wellness Wednesday: Video celebrating culture and inclusiveness.
- Cooper Street Y Get Moving Mansfield: September 21, 2020 at The Lot Mansfield we will have a fun class with great music and moves for all ages.
- Central YMCA Sponsored Event: Family Art Night, Date: Friday, September 18, 2020, Time: 6:00 p.m.
- North Y Voter Registration: Starting September 15th thru September 19th the North Y will offer Voter Registration. Special thanks to Lisa Thompson, Y Board Member and wonderful volunteers from the Jack and Jill of America Foundation. Times will be posted soon.
Look at the fun we had during Welcoming Week 2019!
What is Welcoming Week?
Welcoming Week, held September 12-20, 2020, is a national celebration of the growing movement of inclusive communities that fully embrace immigrants and their contributions to the social fabric of our country. Created by YMCA of the USA’s (Y-USA) national partner Welcoming America, Welcoming Week brings together immigrants and U.S.-born residents at community-based and virtual events to promote cross-cultural understanding and raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone.
National Partner: Welcoming America
Welcoming America is a nonpartisan, non-profit organization that helps communities across the country achieve prosperity by becoming more welcoming toward immigrants and all residents. Their mission is to inspire people to build inclusive communities that embrace new immigrants and foster opportunity for all. Y-USA has a national partnership with Welcoming America to support local Y capacity building and community scaling of efforts to strengthen cohesion between new immigrants and their receiving communities. Visit https://www.welcomingamerica.org/ for the latest welcoming news, resources and more.
The Need for Welcoming Week
With more than 44 million foreign-born individuals currently living in the U.S.—more than at any other point in history—it is imperative for the well-being of our communities that all neighbors have opportunities to engage, build mutual understanding and work together to create a better society for all.
The Y’s Commitment & Role
The Y is committed to helping all individuals, including newcomers, access the support and resources needed to reach their full potential. We believe that communities are at their strongest when everyone has an opportunity to contribute and work together on a shared vision for the future.
Welcoming Week is a powerful expression of the Y’s commitment to equity and community strengthening by building bridges between new Americans and their neighbors. In 2019, 720 Ys in 44 states hosted Welcoming Week events that reached more than 100,000 people nationwide! YMCAs of all sizes and locations participated across the country, generating considerable coverage in media and on social media.