Bringing Creativity To Life Through Dance
We are committed to providing dance and enrichment classes to enhance the overall development of students. We provide all of our students the opportunity to explore dance with a qualified, nurturing staff. We pride ourselves on offering our students one-on-one attention and positive reinforcement that is necessary for success. Our classes are designed to give dancers a chance to experience dance in a fun and loving atmosphere, among their friends.
Many of our YMCAs offer a variety of youth and adult dance classes including pre-ballet, ballet, jazz and hip hop.
Classes are taught by highly-trained instructors. In a fun, encouraging environment, we will make sure every participant is able to be the best they can be. Students will learn the fundamentals of dance, how to control their body movements and have a greater awareness of rhythms and music.
We offer dance classes for various ages and skill levels, so whether you or your little dancer are a beginner or a pro, you can learn it all. Our main goal is to provide our youth with opportunities to develop strong morals, a strong work ethic, and give them every opportunity to succeed as they grow older.
Dance Classes (14-Week, 2 Session Program):
• Creative Movement: Children who are ready to be in a class by themselves will begin to learn the basic elements of creative movement and basic ballet. The overall emphasis is on learning coordination, balance, rhythm, self-confidence. Socialization skills such as turn-taking and following instructions will be emphasized. Students in this class will be introduced to elements of ballet and the class will incorporate lots of imagination! Students must be potty trained for this class. (Ages 3-4)
• Mommy and Me: This class is designed for children ages 3-4 and their mothers. The movement is designed to help develop and promote your child’s physical and social growth while enjoying dance in a relaxed and fun-filled atmosphere. (Ages 3-4)
• Pre-Ballet: Overall emphasis is on enjoying dance while learning coordination, balance, rhythm, musical counting, self-confidence, muscle isolation and development, taking turns and following directions. The class will focus on proper body alignment, flexibility, strength, turnout & extension. The skills developed in ballet are the foundation for all styles and levels of dance. (Ages 4-5)
• Ballet: Students will learn classical ballet techniques and terminology. Each class includes barre exercises, center floor work, and across-the-floor combinations. The class will focus on proper body alignment, flexibility, strength, turnout & extension. The skills developed in ballet are the foundation for all styles and levels of dance. (Ages 5-8)
• Hip Hop/Jazz Fusion:Students will begin learning hip-hop fundamentals combined with Jazz technique. Hip-hop moves are broken down for dancers and hip-hop fundamentals will be expanded upon by explaining and demonstrating various techniques and methods. Students will be exposed to multiple styles of hip-hop blended with jazz dance. This class will allow students to discover their own hip-hop style in a stress-free and fun environment, encouraging confidence building, independent creativity, and teamwork. (ages 5-8)
• Tap: Tap classes are designed for the beginner dancer to develop rhythm, style and sound. Students will learn a variety of tap styles from Broadway to Rhythm Tap. Exercises focus on building flexibility of the knee and ankles, coordination, and speed of movement. The class emphasis is on developing proper tap technique, producing clear tap sounds, and having fun. (ages 5-8)
•Adult Dance: This class is designed for the adult who has never studied dance and would like to get in shape and have fun. Adults will survey a variety of styles of dance including ballet, lyrical, jazz, contemporary, line, hip-hop and character. Each class includes barre exercises, center floor work, and across-the-floor combinations. The class will focus on proper body alignment, flexibility, strength, turnout & extension.(Ages 25 and up)
• Cost: $42 ($21/each session) for members plus $50 recital fee
• What do you get: Registration includes full uniform
For more information, please contact any of our branch staff members below:
Cooper Street YMCA
Irene Johnson, Senior Executive Director
Melissa Gross, Wellness Coordinator
About our Instructors
Erica has been a Step By Step student since she was two years old. She loves ballet and lyrical and has competed at local and national dance competitions. Erica is a graduate of UT Arlington with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a Minor in English. While at UTA, Erica was a member of the Dance Ensemble and Mavericks Dance Team. Erica recently graduated with her Juris Doctorate from Thurgood Marshall School of Law. She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. As the Director of Step By Step Dance Studio’s Junior Company, Performance Team, as well as the Genesis and Revelation and Praise Dancers, Erica gives young girls the opportunity to share their love of dance throughout the metroplex.
Khirstian Satcher has been dancing for 15 years. She started dancing at Step By Step since the age of three and has since danced across many stages including Disney World, Ice at the Gaylord, Collegiate sporting events, various retirement homes. She has also competed in numerous local and nation dance competition.s. In high school, Khirstian also was a member of the drill team where she served as first lieutenant her senior year. Khirstian is currently is a sophmore at the University of Texas at Arlington, where she is pursuing a degree in Communications. Her dream career would be in the the entertainment industry as a publicist or journalist/reporter. She is also a proud member of UT-Arlington’s 2017-2018 Maverick Dance Team.