Bill & Shari Bowie Community Leadership Award
The Bill and Shari Bowie Community Leadership Award exist to honor Bill and Shari Bowie’s legacy in the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA and the community. The Bowie Family has made a considerable impact in our community by donating their time, talent and treasure to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the Salvation Army, American Cancer Society, and SafeHaven to name a few. Bill and Shari raised their three children in the Y. Bill served as a basketball coach for over 14 years, as a board member for over 10 years where he served as our board chair in 2004-2005 and today, Shari Bowie serves as an active member of the AMA Y Board of Directors.
The Bill and Shari Bowie Community Leadership Award was created to encourage volunteerism and to recognize, honor and to show our appreciation for our community leaders who have made a considerable impact through their donated time, talent and financial resources.
The criteria for this award are as follows:
• Volunteerism – Volunteerism is central to the founding and legacy of the YMCA. The award recipient’s volunteer activity helps to design and implement solutions and strategies to build sustainable programs and services in our community.
• Social Responsibility – The recipient’s efforts have a positive impact on many lives. Their generous donations have improved or changed important social issues in our community. They are leaders in our community who help to encourage and lead a culture of philanthropy and volunteerism.
• YMCA Advocacy – The recipient of this award is a cause driven leader who is a YMCA Advocate and has shown their willingness to help advance the Y’s mission by being intentional in capturing and communicating the positive impact the Y makes across our areas of focus: Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
YMCA Inspiration Awards
For over 60 years the AMA YMCA has had the privilege of working with some of our community’s most generous and inspiring individuals. These individuals embody the YMCA’s core values and beliefs by donating their time, treasure and/or talent. The AMA YMCA Inspiration Awards were created to recognize these people as a small token of our appreciation for their contribution in strengthening our community.
• Youth Development Award – Recipients of this award are individuals who work to nurture the development of youth. They are volunteers, members, and parents who have given exemplary support to the Y in the areas of child care, youth camps, youth sports, aquatics and/or after school programs.
• Healthy Living Award– Recipients of this award are members and volunteers who work to promote and live a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle is more than just being active – it’s a balanced spirit, mind and body. These volunteers and members have gone the extra mile in programs that promote healthy living and are an outstanding example of encouraging and inspiring others to live a healthier lifestyle.
• Social Responsibility Award– Recipients of this award are people who embody the spirit of social responsibility. They have displayed extraordinary acts of generosity: whether this is generosity of spirit, volunteerism, social services, or donations.
YMCA’s Mission: To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all